Friday, May 6, 2011

Reflecting on TCF

I have loved loved this class. When i signed up for it I wasn't really sure what i was getting myself into. Looking back on it now i am so glad that i decided to sign up for this course. I learned so many interesting things about how social media worked. As we all know the tornado hit this past week and this sent me in to panic mode. The town that i have grew up in was devastated. My dad is a minister at a church here in town and we immediately started to get to work with volunteering. The church i attend is Calvary. Its a pretty big church so we had lots of people to help and since i have a boot on i knew that my help would be a tad limited. When i realized this all i could think about was this class. I thought about all the times we talked about advertising and how to get the word out to other people. I immediately picked up my phone and started tweeting the Tuscaloosa news and James Spann! After I tweeted them I got a crew of 7 people to help me start calling the radio. We called ourselves the Social Media Crew. We sent out so many tweets and the Tuscaloosa news and all the radios were relaying our messages as soon as we got them to them. After the Tuscaloosa news and James Spann started to retweet my phone started going off like crazy!! People were mentioning me and retweeting me left and right. I knew that this was something little i could do but it took off and made me proud. When people would walk in with donations they would say we saw that the Tuscaloosa news retweeted this and the older people of the church were in shock. They couldn't believe what was going on. We tried to explain it to them but they honestly didn't understand. I am so glad i took this class and got to learn about all the different things that are going on in the world that we live in today.

No comments:

Post a Comment